[AMPS] Vacuum relays

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 9 Jun 98 13:50:45 -0800

>Gerard & Rich...
>
>I'm of the understanding that tungsten contacts are pretty dicey for
>switching "dry circuits" like the T/R receive path. My understanding is
>that what makes them durable for heavy hot switching (i.e., big high power
>contactors) tends to make trouble on dry circuits. Would be interested in
>any solid info to the contrary.

I have heard of no such problems with Vacuum-relays that use tungsten
contacts.  Perhaps absence of oxygen is a factor?.  .  The rated max.
contact R is 0.03 ohms for Jennings'  RJ-1H (tungsten contacts)  relay.
The trade-off is that the continuous RF currect handling ability of
tungsten contacts is roughly half that of same-dia. copper contacts.
-  later

Rich...