[AMPS] pi vs. t tuned input

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 10 Jun 98 08:13:41 -0800

>> Date:          Wed, 10 Jun 1998 05:45:24 +0000
>> From:          Scott Townley <nx7u@primenet.com>
>> Subject:       [AMPS] pi vs. t tuned input
>> To:            amps@contesting.com
>

>> About tuned input sections for amplifiers:
>> Should I "roll my own" on
>> powdered iron toroids?
>
>Yes, it is virtually impossible to saturate powdered iron

Agreed

> or ferrites because they overheat long before saturation occurs.

  I have managed to saturate ferrite cores without causing them to
overheat.  How do I know the core was saturating?  I could see the
harmonic distortion on an oscilloscope, and. dozens of UHF TV signals
were being wiped out by a 7MHz-fundamental signal.
.   For tuned inputs, powdered-iron slug tuned cores seem to work well.

Rich...