[AMPS] HV Transformer Idea

Mark Hall markeh@erols.com
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:54:06 -0500

Hi:

I'm an electrical engineer, but far away from knowing much about
transformers.  Don't laugh too hard if this is way out there.

I have a 110 VAC primary 3.2KV @ one amp transformer.  If I full wave
rectify a 220VAC line against neutral, I should arrive at a full wave
rectified 110 Volt, 120 Hertz supply that should drive this transformer
with substantially less core loss due to the higher frequency.  I know
400 Hz transformers are much smaller for the same KVA.. the major reason
they're used aboard aircraft.  Filtering should be easier, due to the
higher output frequency.  Question is what happens in the transformer
core due to the one direction only input voltage discontinuities?
Presumeably I'll get some serious voltage spikes out the secondary since
E=L*di/dt?  Sounds like a great idea to me, but it's been 22 years since
I took EE-101, and the laws of physics seem to evolve.

'73  KI4Z