[AMPS] Readings on Clipperton L

W7CW Jay E Ostrem wc7m@vcn.com
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 11:50:32 +0000

At 11:36 PM 3/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>	I'm geting some funny readings (or so they seem) when I try to transmit
>using my Dentron Clipperton L. I'm using an FT 840 for a transceiver and
>a MFJ 896 Antenna Tuner sits on the other side of the Dentron. When the
>Dentron is turned on, I get 2500v plate and when it's keyed in CW mode,
>I get .666-.750 amps current. But I can't seem to get the MFJ 986 to
>register any more than about 150watts out in CW and 100w out in SSB
>mode, in 40, 20, and 15 mtr bands. What's going on here. Am I doing
>something wrong and if so, what should I be doing?

Jonathan,  I had a similar problem 15 yrs ago with the amp.  I
inadvertantly used the wrong antenna,and caused an arc across the tank
coil, which is rolled on a phenolic tube. It left a carbon trace on he
tube, effectively shorting some windings.  I tried grinding it out, but
ultimately had to replace the coil.
                              73 Jay W7CW

                                 1AB Ranch
                                 Gillette, Wyoming