[AMPS] 50K on CB

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:20:45 EST

Three years ago I witnessed a "Shootout" in the parking lot at Dayton.
The winner ran 22KW out of a 3CX10000A7 in his van.

The "world record" is reportedly some guy from Milwaukee or Chicago who
used railroad locomotive alternators to attain 125KW or thereabouts. I
dont have any details but I would except a few fried brains at those
powers!

Legal issues aside it is otherwise a pretty harmless exercise. All the
operation takes place from mobiles and the requirement is for key down
for only 10 seconds. The base station CBers cause more problems and there
are a lot more of them.

So bring all those big tubes and vacuum variables to Dayton....the
customers are waiting.

73   Carl   KM1H

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 00:10:10 EST KA2YKC <KA2YKC@aol.com> writes:

><< 50K on CB yea right!  >>
>
>Listen to 27.085 or 27.175 the next time the band opens up. Keep your
>ears out
>for something called a "Superbowl (aka Keydown contest) " ........
>
>FInd out where  it is taking place, hop into your mobile and motor on
>down to
>the event.....
>

>Be prepared for a rude awakening. You will see some engineering
>marvels......
>
>.......  Chevy Suburbans with AC generators under the hood, boxes in
>the rear
>with 3cx3000's, 3cx6000's, multiple ceramic tubes.
>
>........ Lincoln Town Cars with a 460CID motor turning 3 AC
>generators,
>feeding AC to a box with 2 8877's...........
>
>Bird meters in line with 10k slugs pinned to the right.
>
>Also expect to see large volumes of cash to change hands during the
>event. All
>contestants chip into a prize pool, compete in various "power
>classes", and
>walk away happy or sad.    A party miles away acts as the judge for
>the
>loudest signal on the band.
>
>I would have never believed this stuff actually went on until I saw
>some of
>these mobile installations. It is a shame all this talent  goes to
>waste on
>CB.
>

>I'm 10-8, 10-10 on the side.............88's to all you mud ducks....
>
>Just an observation, no flames please.
>
> I dont condone or promote this kind of activity.
>

>73 Eric KK2ED
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]