[AMPS] Benefit

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:54:57 EST

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:00:28 -0500 Doug Person <dougperson@ibm.net>
writes:
>> The AL80 at 1000W is the advertising departments dream....your
>nightmare.
>> The maximum sane power is 700-800W intermittent ...forget RTTY.
>> The AL-1200 will loaf at 1500W  in a CW contest and do in the 2200 +
>> range when pushed AND also handle RTTY ( at 1200W or so).
>

>Really?  I regularly see 900 to 1000 PEP on 20 and 40 with 60 watts in
>on my AL-80B.  Am I just dreaming?
>
>Doug -- W4DXV

I assume that is with zero reflected power? Seems a bit hard to believe
with only 60W of drive.  What is your key down Ep and Ip at this time?

Rich, myself and others have tried to explain since the beginning of this
reflector that the AL80xxx manual is a study in irresponsible operating.
To tune to 550ma plate and 200ma grid is asking for a very poor SSB
signal. I would urge you to obtain a copy of the Eimac/Amperex spec sheet
and follow their reccomendations, not MFJ/Ameritron.

At 2700V Ep,  130ma Ig and 400ma Ip you should obtain around 650-700W CW
output, add 12-15% for PEP. BTW, on SSB the peak Ip meter reading should
not exceed 250-300ma, even with processing.  That will keep the rest of
us on the band happy also.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]