[AMPS] Benefit

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:54:57 EST

On Fri, 13 Mar 98 23:14:47 -0600 Jon Ogden <jono@webspun.com>

SNIP

> Also, keep your coax runs as short
>as
>possible and use good quality coax and connectors.  Minimize losses as
>
>much as possible.  This includes making sure you have a well tuned
>antenna.  Bad SWR basically causes losses as every time your RF is
>reflected back and forth through the coax, there is a little
>additional
>loss.  An SWR of just 1.5:1 can reduce your power by as much as 4% (4%
>of
>power is reflected back from antenna).

I believe that is erroneous Jon, but I am not sure what you are saying
either...so please bear with me.

Here are the published flat and additional VSWR losses for RG-213 per
100':

Freq	Flat Loss    Add loss  2:1 VSWR     Add for 4:1 VSWR
4 Mhz	0.32dB	  <0.1dB		      0.3dB
15	0.8                 0.18		      0.7
30	1.2	    0.22		      0.9

It would then appear that even a 4:1 VSWR at 20M is of no real
consequence for many styles of operating. On 80M I really could care less
about  the.3dB when I go from CW to SSB.

Losses are much less with CATV hardline and .5 or .875" Heliax. For
instance .75" CATV has a flat loss of 0.25dB at 30MHz;  a 2:1 VSWR would
add < 0.1dB and a 4:1 VSWR would add 0.25dB.
I use all CATV and Heliax line here.

The only feedline I have ever punctured was RG-6  CATV drop cable when
trying to make a LP array work on 75M
RG-213 is rated at 5KV continuous. The amp load capacitor is more apt to
arc first.
I know of many hams that have accidentally operated into the wrong
antenna, they have blown loading coils and traps but never RG-213.

73   Carl   KM1H

  At 1500 watts that is 60 watts

>(some of that 60 watts does get eventually radiated after it is
>reflected
>back from the source, travels back downt the transmission line and out
>the antenna, but there are losses with each trip through the coax).
>An
>SWR of 1.8:1 can result in an 8.2% reflection.  As well the high
>voltage
>peaks in a condition of high SWR along the coax can cause problems if
>your coax isn't high enough quality (dielectric can literally break
>down).  Remember that if you have 1.5 dB of total loss in all of your
>feedline, connectors, etc. you can make your 1500 watts into 1000 at
>the
>antenna!  You've also done a lot to heat up the coax!
>
>To anyone buying an amplifier, I would urge them to think in terms
>other
>than just transmitted power.  It's best to think in terms of ERP
>(Effective Radiated Power).  Again, what can you do to improve your
>station over just adding more power.  What can you do with the
>antenna,
>the feedline, etc.  It all matters quite a bit.  It's an entire system
>
>working together and it is only as good as the weakest link.
>
>In the final analysis however, after all is said and done, I would buy
>an
>amp that is rated continous duty at 1500 watts.  If you are going to
>spend the money you might as well do it right.  That way you know that
>if
>you run 1200 or 1300 watts that your amp is well within its limits.
>However as another person put it, the 1000 watt amp the original
>poster
>asked about may not even cut it at 1000 watts but more like 700 watts.
>
>>From 700 to 1500 is a BIG difference.
>
>I apologize for the length of this and if any was too technical for
>anyone out there.  I just got on a roll!  :-)
>
>Cheers to all,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>KE9NA
>
>http://www.qsl.net/ke9na

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]