[AMPS] Step Start for Ameritron AL-80A

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:36:20 EST

On Sat, 14 Mar 98 10:14:18 -0600 Jon Ogden <jono@webspun.com> writes:
>>I have an Ameritron AL-80A which makes the loud CLUNK sound when the
>>power switch is engaged.  I assume that step-start/current inrush
>>protection would prevent this.  My questions for the list:
>
>I would think the clunk is the inrush relay kicking out after the
>initial
>time delay.
>
>73,
>
>Jon

Huh...there is no inrush relay in the AL-80.
As Bill said, I doubt if it is causing any damage; after all that amp has
been around many years. The clunk is the xfmr.
The simple relay and resistor work very well and is a low bucks solution.
I use 125 Ohms 50W on my homebrew 3CX1000A7 2M amp. It gives about a 3
second delay for the big 30A power contactor. Other relays will probably
require more or less R. In my case the low ESR of the 4.8KVA xfmr and the
24Mf oil filled cap warranted the step-start...at least to keep the PS
diodes contented.

73  Carl   KM1H

>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>KE9NA
>
>http://www.qsl.net/ke9na

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]