[AMPS] 3-500Z amplifiers and grid current

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 17 Mar 98 20:09:44 -0800

>>- Perhaps it's not all that stretchy.    During Final Test, a well-used
>>pair of tubes are typically plugged in whilst the frisky Eimac beauties
>>remain safely tucked away in their factory-sealed boxes.  .  Should one
>>expect that tired old tubes have as much gain as new tubes? .  .  .  I
>>have a tube that was mfg. in 1967, which still works, upon which I will
>>confidently wager a large pizza with 4 toppings and salad bar, that it
>>won't oscillate.
>
>Rich,
>
>Fascinating discussion....
>
>What's the difference between the old tubes and new tubes?  Why would the
>old ones not oscillate in an amplifier while the new ones would?

As tubes age, gain decreases.  Less gain means less ability to oscillate.

>......did Eimac change something in the design of the tubes?

Eimac decreased the Mu from approx. 190 to approx. 130.  The oscillation
situation did not seem to change.

>I gotta say, I am on your side in this one so far....but then again, what
>do I know!  :-)

Carl has not yet proffered another explanation of how the filament gets
bent.

>73,

>Jon
>KE9NA

postscript  I tried to send this to your e-mail address. Jon, and it was
rejected.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K