[AMPS] 3-500Z amplifiers and grid current

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:25:30 EST

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:20:21 EST KA2YKC <KA2YKC@aol.com> writes:

><< Maybe in your version of reality.  In the real world amps are final
> tested AND shipped with the same tubes.  Of course this does not
>include
> kits. Early testing or QA rejects may use shop tubes...cuts down the
>cost
> when debugging.
> Amp Supply thru brand Z amps included the serial ## of the tubes
>along
> with Tune and Load readings into their 50 Ohm loads. This was an aid
> new users ( that could read)   of the initial setup parameters.
>  >>

>Part of the problem with the TL922A distribution scheme was that the
>amplifer
>was never "paired" with a "particular" set of Eimac 3-500Z's. I know
>of 2 or 3
>people who bought new TL922's, to find that the dealer just pulled the
>closest
>set of 500's to ship with it. Maybe if Kenwood actually did test the
>amp with
>a particular pair and noted the tube's stamping, they would have fixed
>some of
>the problem-prone units in the first place. One would surmise that
>they tested
>each amp at the factory with a lab-set of tubes, which probably
>exhibited less
>gain than those most of us 922 owners wound up with.
>

>73 Eric

Thanks for that explanation Eric. That certainly clears up the TL-922
question of tube/amp tracking.
I also received a private message from another person who bought a NOS
TL-922 and '89 era tubes. Upon turn-on one tube had a little molten ball
creating arc paths around the base! He will be sending me the
tubes...this should be interesting.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]