[AMPS] electrolytic caps

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:01:02 EST

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:40:32 GMT boyd@humboldt1.com (Old Ham) writes:
>Hi Roger,
>   Check with MCM Electronics in Ohio. There phone
>number is 800-543-4300. They have 80 mf 450 volt
>for $3.94 each and 100 mf  450 volt for $5.20 and
>if you buy 10 the price drops 10 to 15 %.
>
>   I ordered some for a National Amp and when I
>got them they looked a little small compared to what
>was in there but they had the same value so I put them
>in and they worked fine...

Hmmm. I had a disaster...years ago...when I tried cheap caps in one of my
 NCL-2000's Boyd.  I suggest that you keep a good eye on the capacitor
temperature...mine started boiling from the high ripple current...almost
lost the xfmr. A good cap will barely get warm to the touch after several
hours of standby in the SSB position. You should also check the voltage
drop across each cap....there should be a 5% maximum variation.
I just redid my 6M NCL-2000 and used the CDE 381LX since they snap right
into the holders.....also went to 100K equalizer resistors...the NCL PS
board really traps heat.

73  Carl  KM1H  ex-National Radio...on NCL design team

>Good Luck & 73,
>Boyd  N6DMF
>

>On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:23:50 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>Looks like time to rebuild the old L-7 power supply. Where can one
>obtain high
>>voltage axial lead electrolytic caps these days?
>>
>>Thanks, Roger
>

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]