[AMPS] 4-1000 IDLING CURRENT

Jon Ogden jono@webspun.com
Sun, 29 Mar 98 23:18:46 -0600

>>My Home brew 4-1000 amplifier works great except for on thing.  The power out
>>seems low.  I believe it may have something to do with the low idling
>>current.
>>Plate voltage is 4,600 VDC and idling current is about 80 ma.
>
>Zero signal anode current - a.k.a. idling current - should be about 20%
>of max.., or around 150mA.

Accoring to Eimac specs, the idling current should be 110 mA at 5000 V,
so I think 150 is too high at 4600.

>>The max plate
>>current I can load it to is 450 - 500 ma.  At 4,200 VDC under load and 450 ma
>>plate current, gets 1,450 watts out with about 130 watts drive.
>
>Normal drive power is around 190w with such low anode V.  If you want to
>make an 8166/4-1000A play well with low drive levels, you need 6 to 7kV
>on the anode.

I wouldn't put more than 6 kV on the anode of a 4-1000A.  6 KV is the
maximum that Eimac specs, or am I missing something here?

What I want to know is if ANYONE is able to get the 2050 W out that Eimac
claims with a plate voltage of 5 KV, and plate current of 650 mA from 90
W of driving power?  This is from an official Eimac publication!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden