[AMPS] 4-1000 IDLING CURRENT

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:39:30 +0100

Jon Ogden wrote:
>>In linear operation there has to be a compromise between output power and
>>IMD.
>
>Unfortunately this seems to always be the case!  Except you forgot
>efficiency.  One can have poor efficiency, good output power and good IM
>(class A).

Class A gives poor efficiency and good IMD, but poor output power
compared with the same tube operated in class AB1 or AB2.

I tend to downplay efficiency, because a "linear" amplifier adjusted for
efficiency is usually a menace on the air. If you want to put out a big
signal with good IMD, you have to be willing to pay whatever the
electricity bill comes to.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek