[AMPS] Spectrum Analyzers

Jon Ogden jono@webspun.com
Fri, 1 May 98 10:36:55 -0500

>With proper selection of resolution bandwidth and input attenuator,
>modern analyzers can measure third order products as far down as -100
>dBc.

I would say that with the right set-up, you could go even lower.  I know
people who do IM measurements on connectors.  The IM generated by a
connector interface can be on the order of -125 dBc.  And yes for those
of you who have never heard of it, connectors can and do generate IM.
It's due to dissimilarities in metals in the connector interface.  Nickel
is horrible for generating IM.

>  Those hams who are fortunate enough to own a 140/141-based system
>can expect this performance.  Since such systems are available on the
>surplus market for ca. $2000 I tend to assume any ham who focuses on RF
>design issues owns one.  Of course, I could be wrong.

I'd like too.  Unfortunately, I've got a lot of other things that would
take my $2000 first!

73,

Jon
KE9NA