[AMPS] Another arc question

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 6 May 98 07:40:24 -0800

>OK,
>
>Thanks to those who responded to my seemingly dumb question about why no
>carbonization marks exist around tubes which supposedly had an arc-over
>in them.  Specifically this is in regards to the bent filament helix
>phenomena in the 3-500Z's.
>
>So here's a follow up question:
>
>Several people pointed out that you wouldn't get carbon scoring from an
>arc because the tube is evacuated and therefore there is nothing that
>would cause carbonization (OK, maybe that's not the scientific
>explanation, but you know what I mean).

--  i.e., arc cratering does not involve carbon.

>However, if there were no gas of
>any kind inside the tube, then how did the arc occur?  Doesn't an arc
>occur when the voltage potential across a gas is so large that the
>molecules in the gas break down, turn into a plasma and thereby creat a
>low resistance path for current to flow?

electrons are temporarily ripped off.

>If there is no gas then why is
>one theory called the Gas Discharge Theory or whatever?  If there IS some
>sort of gas, then isn't it possible that carbonization could occur due to
>the arc?  Or is it the wrong type of gas (ie:  needs to contain carbon)?

Oxygen gas and/or  nitrogen gas become conductors when enough potential
gradient exists to free their electrons.  In a partial vacuum, relatively
low potentials are needed to accomplish this and create an arc.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K