[AMPS] Re:

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 12 May 98 09:27:17 -0800

>Rich,
>
>In the few months I have observed this reflector, you have used the word
>"rauch", usually lower-case but sometimes upper-case.  I've assumed it's
>an abortive attempt to slander an author, but in my attempts to locate
>this author as a reference have failed.

Slander is the communication of false information.   .

 .  Info on Mr. Rauch is available in the grate parasitics debate archive
on Will, KN6DV''s Web site. If it is gone, I can send you a text file of
the debate via e-mail, however, it is large.

 >For those of us new to the
>reflector, would you kindly provide a reference for "rauch"

See pages 71-4  of the Sept. 1994 *QST*.  Mr. Rauch manages to include
himself (Ameritron) on his list of recognized amplifier "experts".

>or "rauch-schnauzer"?

A rauchschnauzer is a mythical breed of lap-dog.
.     During Phase-I of the grate parasitics debate (which began on the
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Newsgroup) , when Mr. Rauch refuted standard
AC Circuit Analysis, his supporters did not question him.   When he
professed that gold has a second, lower melting point below 1063 deg. C,
ditto.   When Mr. Rauch retroactively promoted an ex-Eimac employee from
Engineer-B to "R+D Engineering Manager", ditto.   .

>If not, please simply state the theory, instead of
>its author.

His theory is that one can build a vhf suppressor out of copper-wire that
equals the performance of a similar vhf suppressor that is built from
resistance-wire.  This can indeed be done by increasing the L of the
suppressor-inductor (Ls in Wes' measurements), and by increasing the R of
the suppressor-resistor (Rs).  However, the trade-off is exponentially
increased 28MHz dissipation in the suppressor-resistor.  .  The short
answer is that the use of resistance-wire in Ls allows the designer to
reduce the 28MHz dissipative burden in Rs while improving the vhf
performance of the suppressor.   .

>This way, we can stay with the physicis of the thing, and
>move away from the emotional one-upsmanship that appears here so often.

Information that does not wash will backfire on its originator.

-  later, Arlen

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K