[AMPS] Gassy Tubes and Gas Arcs

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 17 May 98 07:02:27 -0800

> If it looks like it's on the inside of the envelope, it's ion
>bombardment. If it's
>inside the anode structure, then it's gas. In my early days, I replaced many
>tubes I thought were gassy! Good for RCA, GE, etc.

That's pretty much it, Roger.  However,  "ion" means an atom that has
gained or lost one or more electrons, I doubt that ions are involved.  In
this case, it appears that the flourescing material's atoms (probably one
of the silica-fluxing elements in the glass recipe -- perhaps boron?) are
being bombarded by electrons.  My guess is that this element fluoresces
as its electrons fall back into a lower orbit after being knocked into a
higher orbit by electrons that miss the anode and strike the glass
envelope.

Rich...