[AMPS] Re: Parasitics

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 19 May 98 16:05:13 -0800

>> Date:          Fri, 15 May 1998 19:10:08 -0500
>
>> I think that's pretty cool!  It shows that Rich's supressor idea *DOES*
>> indeed work.  In a sense you are getting extra resistance out of the
>> inductor.  And that extra gives you a lower Rp which means lower VHF gain!
>
>Hi Jon,
>Not only that, the suppressor Rich alludes to was NOT the suppressor
>he describes in the kit he sells.

The inductance of the one-turn Ls for a single 3-500Z is about the same
as the inductance of the smaller dia. 5 turn Ls for a pair of 3-500Zs.

>It was a clone of an AL-80
>suppressor, multi-turn inductor and all.

If it was a clone, why did it have 75nH,  while the AL-80/W8JI suppressor
had 101nH (@100MHz)?
>I'll certainly be the first to agree that adding series resistance in
>the coil path lowers Q and can increase ESR through ALL
>frequencies (especially the operating frequency down through dc),

 Wes measured 0.47 ohms of ESR in the resistance-wire Ls at 10MHz, and at
200MHz, he measured 4..7 ohms of ESR.  .  HELLO

> but the bottom line is at VHF it does nothing

Does nothing?   100MHz-Q decreased from 2.2 to 1.5 despite the fact that
the resistance-wire suppressor had 34% less inductance than the
copper-wire (W8JI) suppressor.

>... a small resistance and
>turns adjustment doesn't accomplish without all the HF losses.

And how much might "all the HF losses" be?.

Rich...