[AMPS] Technical Question #1

Tom Rauch w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 07:13:04 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 19 May 1998 10:43:06 -0400 (EDT)

> >Is this an amplifier that you personally watched first hand in a test
> >setup, or are the parameters above gleaned from a second source?

Unless you have details of the second hand report and are absolutely
sure of the source, we have to dismiss it.

> Both. But the amps I witnessed were not SB-220's or had 3-500Z's.
> I would still prefer to stick to the SB-220 and related clones since they
> are so popular and the majority of readers can relate to them. Roughly 4
> out of 10 SB-220's that I buy have some sort of switch damage...which is
> why they are for sale...cheap. In almost every case, the owners say the
> amp was tuned and operating perfectly fine and the switch arced for no
> obvious reason.

Carl, consider the large conclusion you are leaping to here in
accepting the guy's personal "opinion".  A Ham you have never worked
next to, and probably never even met before, operating a  station you
have never seen, and with equipment you probably aren't even aware
of, tells you "I always tuned my amp correctly".

It would be more productive to discuss facts, rather than opinions of
unknown individuals who are judging their own equipment and skills
as "nothing wrong with anything else".

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com