[AMPS] Generic: low out on 10m

Tom Rauch w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 23:01:30 +0000

> Date:          Wed, 20 May 1998 16:40:07 +0000
> From:          Scott Townley <nx7u@primenet.com>

Hi Scott.

I'll give you the top five, in order of likelihood.

> OK, here's your chance for making Letterman:
> What are the top 10 reasons (or fewer...I hope!) for low output power on 10m?
> I have an old 2x 3-500Z homebrew unit that's gangbusters on 80-20, just
> busters on 15 (but busters is good enough), but putz on 10m (550W out
> compared to 1200W+ other bands

1.) The tank does not hit resonance.

2.) The choke is series resonant

3.) The input circuit is placed remotely from the tube, causing the
tube filament does not see a low impedance at the third harmonic of
ten meters (that will MURDER efficiency). Or the input circuit is not
a  network that presents a low impedance at the third harmonic of ten
meters.

4.)  The tank has a stray resonance on ten meters in a section you
are not using because you did not short the unused area of the
tank inductors properly.

5.) The tank layout is very poor.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com