[AMPS] Re: Parasitics

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Thu, 21 May 98 08:12:02 -0800

>Rich Measures wrote:
>>If the electronic protection circuit shorts during a major fault, which
>>hardly seems to be uncommon, there is no grid current protection.  It is
>>my opinion that a foolproof, frangible reasistor is a more reliable.
>>>

>Wouldn't it be more logical to ask *why* the electronic protection
>shorts during a major fault, and fix that problem?

Superb question, Mr. White.  My guess is that there is too much current
during one type of fault for a 1 or so ampere rated transistor to handle
without developing a C-E short.

>Removing the electronic protection means there is NO protection against
>lesser faults,

Not if one adds a fusing element in its stead, which is what I said.

> such as incorrect loading and/or persistent overdriving.

On page 17 in the September 1990 issue of *QST*, there is a photograph of
an oxide-cathode / gold-plated grid amplifier tube which was overdriven
to the point of failure.  The grid's gold-plating is in mint condition.
The cathode's strontium oxide and barium oxide coating has exfoliated,
causing a grid-cathode short.   .     If you arrive at page 17, page 16
has an example of the tendency of gold plating nearest the grounded end
of an 8877's grid to sputter/boil away, without visible damage to the
gold at the ungrounded end of the grid.

>These are equally capable of destroying the grid - it only takes a
>little longer.
>
>Rich's own web pages describe how to protect the grid and anode current
>meters from the current surges in "major faults", using shunt diodes.
>Since the fault protection circuit is essentially connected across the
>grid current metering resistor, the grid current sensing circuit ought
>to be as safe as the meters.

Grid current sensing circuits appear to work ok.  The problem is with
shorting of the transistor that the sensing circuit controls -- the
transistor whose job it is to interrupt the flow of grid current during a
major glitch.

>If it doesn't work out that way, then there's a design error.

Agreed.  In the Kenwood TL-922, a 1A-rated choke in the DC grid current
path to chassis-gnd. has been known to open during an event which
typically damages the amplifier's vhf suppressor resistors and arcs the
Tune-C, or the bandswitch.  How much current does it take to melt the
Cu-wire in a 1-amp RFC?   My unexpert guess is that if there's enough
grid current - from whatever  - to burn out a 1A choke, there's probably
enough current to torpedo a 1A transistor.

>The meter protection diode clamps at abut 1 volt, so a surge limiting resistor
>between that diode and the base of the sensing transistor ought to do it.

agreed

>Another possibility is voltage drops in the chassis itself, if the
>emitter of the sensing transistor is connected to chassis at a different
>place than the diode.

... seems a bit unlikely with an aluminum chassis and a reasonable
layout.

>Find the error, fix it, and you can have routine fault protection that
>will also survive a major fault.

Surely, but it might take a transistor that can handle more than an
ampere or two.  However, if one has a 20 or so Watt rated grid, and there
is a 1/2 Watt rated carbon film resistor in series with the DC grid
current path, which seems more likely to blow first?  Sometimes, mo'
simpler is mo' betta.

Rich...