[AMPS] parasitics

Jon Ogden jono@webspun.com
Thu, 21 May 98 18:23:55 -0500

>>So why don't we see more extensive damage in 3-500Z's with bent filaments
>>if arcing is the real cause?
>>
>>I've asked this question at least twice and no one has responded to it
>>yet.  So I am asking it again.
>>
>How much damage should you expect? I don't know.
>
>Nobody has come up with a real explanation of how the forces necessary
>to bend a filament are generated, applying the same principles as an
>electric motor.
>
>The other question that's still unanswered is what was the state of the
>filament just before the event? Was it properly centered in the grid
>cage... or was it already bent, so that even a small movement would
>cause it to touch?

It still doesn't answer the fundamental question:

* According to literature (as posted by John Lyles), it is stated that
gas arcs usually cause SEVERE damage to a tube, as in melted grids, fused
grids, etc.  "Bent" grids are not mentioned although, I assume they are
possible.

So the question still stands (I'll ask it again):

Is there anyone who has done a post mortem on a 3-500Z who has seen
*EXTENSIVE* damage?  And I don't mean in a case where we know there was
an arc.  And if this extensive damage has not occured due to arcing, then
why?

>The same question can be asked about burned-out resistors etc: what
>state were they in, just *before* the event?

Correct.  We have no way of knowing.

>I don't think anybody really knows, because even the "amplifier doctors"
>and "post-mortem experts" don't start looking until *after* something
>has gone wrong.

True.  Although, neither do morticians, yet they can figure the cause of
human death by working backwards.  Splatter brains, a hole in the head
and a bulged piece of lead would indicate a gun shot wound.  Melted or
fried grids and arc.  Bent grids??????  ARC  maybe, parasite - maybe.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden