[AMPS] Amplifier Experiments!

Jon Ogden jono@webspun.com
Wed, 27 May 98 09:25:45 -0500

>Disconnect only the TOP of the choke from the circuit. Add
>a resistance in series with the top connection of the choke, with a
>detector diode across that resistance, and measure the voltage drop
>across that resistance. While somewhat crude, it's better than having
>no idea at all of choke impedance.

So do I feed a small signal into the resistor/diode pair?  And how does
measuring voltage drop across a resistance help me to calculate
impedance?  If I have a known resistance and a known voltage, I can
calculate current.  So perhaps I am dull, but I need a more detailed
explanation here.

>A more crude method is just to use a small 12 volt wire lead lamp and
>a T connector. Run one end of the T connector to your dummy load and
>the other to the rig. The other empty port goes to the lamp through a
>short flexible lead..
>
>Ground the T to the chassis and sweep the choke with the rig. When
>you get the approximate brightness for a given amount of power, you
>can substitute a resistor and find the approximate impedance for a
>given power and brightness.

What is approximate brightness?  What part do I connect to the choke?  If
I get your right I get a "certain" brightness, then remove the choke and
attach a resistor instead until I find it.  OK, but again, where do I
attach the choke and or/resistor?

73,

Jon
KE9NA