[AMPS] Amplifier for dxpeds and contesting

Michael Peters michael.peters@luebeck.netsurf.de
Fri, 29 May 1998 22:05:51 +0200

Hello all,

greetings from DL. I placed this mail also on the dx platfrom and would
appreciate any respones.

I am looking for a RF amplifier specially for dxpeditions and contesting.
The amp shall be driven from my IC 735.

The amplifier I am looking for shall
+ provide about 1 kw out
+ cover 160 m ... 10 m
+ operate on 120Vac and 230Vac, easy user selectable
+ have small dimensions
+ have acceptable weight for transport in airplanes
+ be robust for the intended usage

Are these requirements utopic?

There are several amps from several manufacturers in the market and I am not
the real amp expert. So YOUR assistance is very appreciated.

The Ameritrons (http://www.ameritron.com) look good regarding the electrical
parameters, but they are heavy things that it need some practice to haul
them around without showing how much they really weight.

The Ten Tec Centaur (http://www.tentec.com) gives only 600 watts out, but
has attractive dimensions and an acceptable $/W/kg ratio.

The Vectronics HF600 QSK (http://www.vectronics.com) could be of interest.
It is also a big thing, but weights only 18 kg. I do not know how good it
really is.
Does anyone has operated it in a contest or during dx-ped?  What are your
experiences?

The Henry Radio units (http://www.radiodan.com/henry) seem to be of interest
concerning the RF performance, but for dx-peds?

What is about the Alphas? Could anyone mail me an URL where I can find more
details?

What is about the HL-2K? Does anybody knows the URL of Tokyo-Hy-Power (I did
not found it with altavista and yahoo)?

Are there any other manufacturers I did not mentioned because I do not know
them?

I also looked on http://www.qth.com/KA9FOX/dxpedition_amp.txt . The Dentron
MLA-2500 is mentioned and proposed by several OPs as an ideal solution. But
do not think that I can find one in EU.
So, what would be the alternative to the MLA?

Oh ... I am sorry if this item will not ideally fit the intention of this
reflector, but I do not found a better platform.
I hope this will not produce any inconvenience.

Any proposals and/or recommandations are appreciated and welcome.
Amplifiers people, what is the "best amp"?

Best 73s from northern Germany de
Mike, DL1HCM
E-Mail: dl1hcm@luebeck.netsurf.de
QTH: http://www.luebeck.de/