[AMPS] SB-220 relay

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 12:55:31 -0500

 Again during SS, I had problems with the switchover relay in my SB-220
sticking, due to hot switching.  I was using TRLog, which provides for a
PTT signal to the AMP a programmable interval before the first CW character
is sent, but that didn't seem to help.  At least, I set it as high as 75MS
and still had the difficulty.

I have a couple of circuits for a QSK system, including AG6K's and one
specifically designed for the TS-930, but those are a fairly ambitious
winter project, and CQWWCW is only 3 weeks away.  Has anyone had experience
with other means of speeding up the 220's relay, such as current-limited
higher initial voltage (analogous to the way vacuum relays are speeded up
for QSK)?  I have such a circuit, originally designed for the TL-922, but
don't know if this would work with the +/- 100 VDC on the 220's relay.

Thanks, guys!

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
Loud is good -- go PVRC!