[AMPS] Fw: [TenTec] Titan info

Steve sbookout@mnsinc.com
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:05:31 -0500

Here are my experiences with the Titan.

I purchase mine new in about '90.  After running lots of CW contests, in
last years ARRL DX contest the amp failed.  It first appeared like a
dirty relay contact as the received audio was muted for up to 20 seconds.
 We removed bottom cover looking for a relay to clean and found that a
small nuclear explosion had occurred on the relay sequencing board.
There was that dark grey smudgy ash for about a 2 inch diameter and R1
was vaporized.

Off to Ten Tec.  $400 bill for replacing a 'worn out' vacuum relay and
repairing the board.  So, if it does happen, it can be quite
catastrophic.

But, still don't know why the other fellow would have to replace his once
a year.  Maybe he was un-lucky or I was good-lucky.

But, this does bring up another point that my mind won't seem to let
rest.  It is my recollection that during all those years of contesting,
using my TS 940 as the driver, we ran the amp semi break in.  Keying it
once at the beginning of a transmission and un keying at the end.  This
would also help explain the long life of the relay.

Now, the confusion.

I get the amp back and I can not find a way, setup or configuration
whereas it will key anything other than QSK.  I just KNOW I could do it
before.  Regardless of how I have it wired with my Omni 6, it will not
key the amp in the PTT/VOX position.

(There are two connect schemes; one for Ten Tec rigs and one for non Ten
Tec rigs.)  I can have the rig use semi (or slow QSK) break in, but the
amp will still key every dot and dash.

Ten Tec says this is normal.  But, I just know we were doing it otherwise
before.  A couple of the long time ops from NJ4F also confirm this
feeling.

Are there any with Titan experience, which can confirm this one way or
the other.

73 de Steve, NJ4F