[AMPS] TL911 AMPLIFIER.

Eric eric.mawhinney@usa.net
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:32:11 +0200

Can anyone please give me some advice on the following:

I have a Kenwood TL911 Amplifier which is in good condition except for the
output tubes.
The tubes are TV sweep types 6JE6C. The ARRL hanbook rates these tubes at
30 watts DC power dissipation at a plate voltage of 500V. The tubes are run
in this "linear" with a plate voltage of 1300V (5 tubes in parallel.) and
the amp's rated input power is allegedly 2.0 KW PEP(user's manual). These
tubes are hard to come by and expensive in relation to the worth of the
amplifier. I have some 6146 tubes which have a recommended maximum plate
voltage of 800V i.e supposedly 300V higher than the 6JE6 and a rated DC
power dissipation of 25 watts. My question is, can I substitute the 6JE6s
with the 6146s ?.
 If this is a No No are there any suggestions for an alternative substition
(could be less than 5 tubes). Only looking for about 400W PEP output.
Supplies available are as follows.
Plate Voltage: 1300V	Plate Current: 1.5A max.
Screen Voltage: 70V (but could probably squeeze about 170V out of the
existing supply).
Bias Voltage: Variable down to -75V
Heater Voltage 6.3V	Heater Current 12.5 Amps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric
ZS5EWM