[AMPS] High current filament circuits

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 01:36:24 -0500

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:27:27 -0600 Dave <dhaupt@bewellnet.com> writes:

SNIP

>I'm curious what the reflectee's experiences are with 3-500Z sockets.
>Most of us seem to understand the risks of crimp connections yet I've
>seen little said about socket-to-pin connections, which are also
>dependent on pressure-based contact.  In my very few years in
>broadcast
>transmitter manufacture, I recall that when one replaced a tube,
>about
>half the time one also replaced the socket due to deterioration in
>the
>finger stock which comprised the filament contact.
>
>73, Dave W8NF

The Johnson socket used from the days of the 4-250A to modern times has
always been prone to loosing contact tension on the filament pins. Most
often due to poor air flow. One quick cure is to drill out the rivets and
swap with 2 of the grid pins. A little bit of sanding and bending will
usually restore the old filament pins to good grid pins.
Over the years I have actually had more problems with the Eimac SK-410
socket as used in the old Henry amps.

BTW, Dave pse resend your prior message from a few days ago. I had
another Juno crash which wiped out my Inbound message folder. I
downloaded the latest Juno today and I'll see what happens.
Any others that I have not responded to please resend.

73  Carl  KM1H
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]