[AMPS] sweep tube amps... kenwood 911 and others

David Feldman dgf@netcom.com
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 10:10:50 -0800 (PST)

>:I have a Kenwood TL911 Amplifier which is in good condition except for
>the
>:output tubes.
>Never knew Kenwood made the amp... Sounds like another classic sweep tube
>amp,  just this one has five tubes.
>:The tubes are TV sweep types 6JE6C. The ARRL handbook rates these tubes
>at
>:30 watts DC power dissipation at a plate voltage of 500V.
>: If this is a No No are there any suggestions for an alternative
>substition
>:(could be less than 5 tubes). Only looking for about 400W PEP output.
>:Supplies available are as follows.
>:Any advice would be appreciated.

If I were posed with this opportunity, I'd buy some 31LQ6 (or 24LQ6)
which last time I looked were about $12 or so from antique electronic
(maybe cheaper elsewhere); I'd attach an extra filament transformer
(perhaps to the back of the amp's case?) and boost the filament
voltage to the needs of the substituted tubes. I did that with a
GLA-1000B (31LQ6s at the time were $4.50 a few years ago, so it was
compelling) and the results have been good since, altho all of the other
conditions noted by the last follow-up (about linearity, etc.) are
still worth heeding - all this "mod" did was allow use of an other-
wise identical tube with a different filament voltage.

GL & 73!

73 Dave WB0GAZ dgf@netcom.com