[AMPS] RE: Pride 10-80m amp

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:52:16 -0500

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:13:43 EST nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
writes:

>Hey Carl, hold your fire!	(RE: Pride HF amplifier for sale)
>
>You may have jumped the gun on this one. I also have a Pride
>amplifier, the same amplifier called a DX 300 in it's first version.

Thats the one I'm familiar with. Fixed several, converted a few to 6M
several years ago.

>It's a very well built Multi-band HF amplifier using a single 4cx250.
>It's also a clean amplifier (on my HP 8920A), with some nice features.

Describe clean please. Someone who trys to claim a clean 500-600W out of
a single 4CX250 is not playing with a full deck IMO.   BTW, I dont mean
you !

>Grid driven, this amplifier Makes the lower power (and qrp) HF rigs
>(Yaesu, Kenwood and others) put out a respectable signal. It has one
>of the most practical drive circuits I've ever seen applied, a 9-1
>toroid and passive
>grid.  There are HV interlocks, a true reading watt meter, solid
>continuous duty power supply and good shielding. Best of all, its a
>desk-top unit of
>practical size.

Yes...it looks nice BUT.....

>Yes, this amplifier was very popular with the CB crowd, but most of
>the 11 meter crowd in my area have and use SB-220 and Henry
>amplifiers. It
>was built and sold as any amateur amplifier.

It was marketed primarily to the CB crowd with minimal ham exposure to
give it some semblance of legitimacy. Hey...give it some thought...how
many hams would buy an amp that requires 4-5W of drive? The QRPers wet
their undies at 50W !

>I enjoy using the amplifier as a 4cx250/350 tube tester.

That is a great use!

>I repaired one for a local ham years ago (tr-relay problem), and was
>so impressed with the quality of construction that I purchased one and
>had
>it shipped from Florida to my house here in California.

I never knocked the construction...just the claimed ratings. Some other
groupie went off the deep end but I certainly didnt flame the original
poster...Hell I even said PLEASE....I must be mellowing.

>For daytime weekend conversations on 40 meters, I like to use the
>mid-size amplifier to get past the foreign broadcast, not an SB-220,
>Henry, BTI or 30S-1... it's just too much. So these amplifiers have
>their place.

I guess it all depends on your perspective. I prefer 100W on HF most of
the time and go to the LK500ZC for a new one. I also have 306 DXCC
confirmed on 40M with 5W...but 4el at 180' helps a bit. I deal a lot with
serious QRO as part of my business but personally prefer what I have.
That and a hilltop and 4 towers.

.. Don't knock them until you've seen one up close.  This
>one has a
>use in the amateur world, even if you don't like the name. The only
>thing I didn't like was the price. IMO It's only worth about
>$300/$350

How about $150-200?  Heck, you can buy a SB-200 for $250, a Clipperton L
for $350 and a SB220 for $450 any day of the week if you bother to
search. The THP HL-1K/A sells for $300 or so and that is a real ham amp
160-10 with a pair of 4CX250's.

>here comes the heat...

Now...was that heat?  I told you Ive mellowed.

73  Carl  KM1H