[AMPS] (no subject)

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:10:03 -0500

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:13:14 EST K4ab@aol.com writes:

>For the second time in as many contests, my Ameritron AL-1500
>developed a
>problem during the contest.  Probably not a major problem, but
>certainly a
>nuisance.

A few simple mods will improve that amps reliability.....something MFJ
will not even admit to.

>My question...what is the most durable, legal-limit, commercially
>available
>amp sold?

IMO it is the Alpha 91b if you dont mind manual tune...take a look at the
major DXpeditions of the past few years....Alpha 91b's..... and after
some initial quality bugs they are a great and reasonably priced amp.

If ur into the Ferrari class then check out the Emtron , Creative
Electronics and maybe the "new" big Alpha that is rumored.

QRO has a few big amps but I am not impressed by the quality ...they need
some time to figure out what they want to sell and not try to emulate MFJ
by offering too many choices.

I could also be talked into a homebrew amp but I aint cheap and not all
that fast either! I would start with a pair of loafing 8877's and work up
from there.

73  Carl   KM1H

>I'm tired of having amp problems during the contests.  I don't
>mistreat the
>amp, but I do run 'em hard..i.e.- CQ'ing for hours at a time.
>
>If a commercially available amp is not available, who homebrews and
>sells the
>best?
>
>Thanks!
>
>73,
>Larry K4AB
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]