[AMPS] Vacuum Var. Question

W7CW Jay E Ostrem wc7m@vcn.com
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:32:35 +0000

The reason I'm asking this is due to my lack of a capacitance tester.

I have a Jennings UCS500, 7.5KV Vacuum Variable.  I'm not sure if the bell
it came with is original, so I think possibly the limit pin is wrong also.

If I have the cap at minimum, should I be able to see air between the fixed
and movable plates? Currently there seems to be quite a bit of overlap.
I'm testing my tank by reading it backwards with an antenna analyzer and a
resistor equal to the RL across the tube.  My indications point to too much
capacitance on the higher bands.
                              73 Jay W7CW

                                 1AB Ranch
                                 Gillette, Wyoming