[AMPS] (no subject)

Alan Gray agray@voicenet.com
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:45:46 -0500

"Radio" Dan-

At 10:14 AM 11/30/98 -0800, Radiodan W7RF wrote:

>If there's confusion it's not on my part Alan,

>Let me "right" back to you this way....

>Which of the "current crop of amps" do you own where you know so much?

Henry (4K-Ultra) Alpha (87A & 77SX) Drake (L-4-B), and a number of
homebrew amps (4CX1500B, 8877, etc.)... as if that matters.  A

</color></bold>

>Fact: The transformers used are very reliable, we wouldn't continue to
use

>them if they were junk!

unreliable components in their amps for years.  Ask Pete Dahl how many
transformers he sold to replace the early Triad and current ECA
transformers Henry put in their amps.  Even the Henry 8K-s have weak
power supplies...all the guys around here who bought the vaunted
8K-Ultras had to buy replacement transformers....  And don't overlook the
history of failures Henry's had with the cheap Dayton blowers they use
(e.g., in the 4K-Ultra).

</color></bold>

>Fact: The HENRY RF deck is and always has been very efficient.

>I don't see anyone else using a custom made roller inductor in the tank,
and

>door knob caps switched in for plate C. Why? costs too much if you
don't

>make the parts like HENRY does!

went to this make shift scheme as a cost reduction scheme, not because it
was a better way to go.  And those roller inductors are a joke (go look
at the Johnson and Multronics inductors if you want to see decent
quality; Henry used to use them before the cost cutting took over. =20

By the way, roller inductors are notoriously unreliable in r.f. tank
circuits due to arcing and pitting.  RCA used to use this fact as a major
weapon in its sales campaigns against Gates  (RCA used tapped inductors;
Gates used roller inductors in their tank circuits; Gates transmitters
were famous for "zorched" tank circuits).

</color></bold>>Sheet metal? You must be looking at something else. We
use aluminum.

checked, aluminum was metal.  And since its used by Henry in sheets to
make cabinets and chassis, its called "sheet metal" (see you learned
something new, Dan).  At any rate, you dodged the issue. =20

Henry's cabinets <underline>never </underline>fit properly.  I defy you
to show me a Henry amp cabinet with sheet metal fits properly with its
screw holes (Henry is famous for making the screw holes on their cabinets
line up by reaming out the holes; as a result, their amps always look
like they were made by "shoemakers") =20

me a Henry amp cabinet that doesn't vibrate like the devil.  Guess the
solution is to buy a 3 or 8K-Ultra and put it another room. That's a
great selling point....  I don't use my 4K-Ultra very much for because I
can't stand the noise it makes.  If you want quiet, don't buy a Henry.=20
Or at least, build an addition to the shack to isolate your Henry in
(unless you don't mind operating in an environment that sounds like
you're on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

Dan, the point of all this is to say that Henry amps are built for a
price and are not the most rugged, reliable amps built. At least not in
my 30+ years of working on them.

Alan, W3BV

</color><underline>

</underline>

<<http://www.qth.net>

>***

>www.radiodan.com <<http://www.radiodan.com> =A0=A0=A0 RFpower@radiodan.com

><<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the
click!

in

>> their amps....like the ECA transformers...and the Triad

>> transformers before

>> them.  And their current crop of amps use tank components that are
nothing

>> to right home about either.....

>> And most annoying of all, Henry still doesn't know how to make sheet
metal