[AMPS] Beryllium in 2C39's and 4CX250fg's?

Ian Roberts ITR@NANOTEQ.co.za
Fri, 02 Oct 1998 13:20:38 +0200

I've been given 3 dozen of the 250's, and have a number of the 39's or
variants.

Vaguely readable on some of the EIMAC 250's are washed-out labels
referring to a hazard. The Chinese versions (China Electronics, some
new) don't take the trouble. Nothing is visible on the 39's, mostly
EIMAC, and a few GE's.

Apparently the "ceramic" (also described as "alumina" in SVETLANA'S
literature on ceramic tubes) has a fair amount of beryllium oxide.

So before I turf unwanted spares in the garbage, for delighted
scroungers on the municipal rubbish dump to ingest, inhale or otherwise
eat the crushed contents of blue bags, and before I breathe in heaps of
the stuff trying to achieve water cooling and similar kinky technology,
does anyone have some advice for me on handling these tubes. Assuming
they do, in fact, contain beryllium, or am I on no-no (taboo) territory?

Ian Roberts, ZS6BTE