[AMPS] re: beryllium in tubes

KF0FX@aol.com KF0FX@aol.com
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:53:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/5/98 2:01:23 AM Central Daylight Time, itr@nanoteq.co.za
writes:

<< Some years ago I read, in QST I think, that the incidence of leucaemia
 in USA hams is about twice that of the population's norm.
 Exposure to "intense x-rays" from tubes at high output, fields around
 high voltage power supplies, RF radiation, X-rays from mal-adjusted
 monitor screens (EHT creeping past 25kV), direct poisoning from
 compounds, your guess is a good as mine.

I don't think it benefits anyone to quote data as facts.  How many hams per
thousand vs. the general population?  A 0.1% to 0.2% change is twice as many,
but that may not be a significant number given how the survey was conducted.

If you really want to generate some decent X-rays, you need to crank the
voltage up a tad.  At 25 kV, the photon energy is so low that it would have a
hard time penetrating just about anything.  To start getting serious, you will
need at least 75kV or more.  As I recall, my dentist cranks on up to 175kV to
get photons energetic enough to pass through my teeth.

I don't believe that there is any scientific evidence that links leucaemia to
EMF fields.  If there is, I'd like the references so I could check it out.

73's
Chris, KF0FX
KF0FX@aol.com