[AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Fri, 9 Oct 98 15:58:06 -0000

>I have an SB-221, to which I added 10m, and also performed the
>input circuit changes per AG6K mods. Now have very low VSWR on all bands.
>Either as a coincidence, or result, I now have the TUNE
>variable cap arcing when tuning over 500w.
>Any thoughts why this happens and how to correct?
>Seems to do it on more than 1 band.

2 Possible solutions:

1.) Do you have dust, or pitting or rough edges on either the tune C or
load C caps?  If so, try filing these down, cleaning, etc.  Try to make
sure all is smooth and that the spacing between the plates is correct.
2.) Check the resistance value of the parasitic suppressor resistors.  If
they are high (several K-Ohms vs. ~100 Ohms), replace them with new
resistors of the proper value.

73,

Jon
KE9NA