[AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 14 Oct 98 02:57:15 -0800

>> From jono@pop3.enteract.com  Tue Oct 13 16:07:02 1998
>
>america.lge.co.kr (8.8.4_hhk9703/8.6.9) with ESMTP id QAA03857 for
>
><bnorell@america.lge.co.kr>; Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:07:00 -0400 (EDT)
>
>mail.lge.co.kr (8.8.4_hhk9703/8.6.9) with ESMTP id FAA25451 for
>
><bnorell@lge.co.kr>; Wed, 14 Oct 1998 05:25:38 +0900 (KST)
>
>(207.229.148.12)
>>   by thor.enteract.com with SMTP; 13 Oct 1998 20:29:38 -0000
>> Subject: Re: [AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing
>> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 98 15:35:21 -0000
>> x-sender: jono@pop.enteract.com
>> x-mailer: Claris Emailer 2.0, March 15, 1997
>> From: Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com>
>> To: "Norell  Bennett W." <bnorell@lge.co.kr>
>> cc: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
>>
>> >I haven't had a chance to tune up to see any difference yet.
>> >If arcing still occurs, and if it is possibly parasitics
>> >at 110MHz as Rich comments, what can be done?
>>
>> If the supressor resistors are OK, then my bet is that they are working
>> fine and you don't have parasitics.

However, R-sup is MOF, not carbon composition, so they are much more
tolerant of overloads.  The Matsushita 3w-rated MOF resistors we use in
our suppressors will dissipate 12w each in free air for 1hr. with little
effect.

>>You already have nichrome wires in there so adding Rich's wouldn't do
anything for you.

Nichrome (resistance wire) is not a cureall parasitic-oscillation
vaccination.  When the optimal amount of L-sup is used, the
improvement/decrease in VHF Q with resistance-wire compared to
copper-wire is c. 40%.   If not enough L-sup is used, a nichrome-wire
suppressor could have a higher VHF Q than a copper-wire suppressor with
more inductance. j.  As a test, squeeze the turns of L-sup closer
together to increase inductance.  If the Tune-C spitting decreases, an
increase in L-sup is indicated -- i.e., winding a new L-sup with more
inductance.  .  However, R-sup needs to have approx. as many Ohms as
L-sup., so a change in both may be needed at some point.
  .
>> Carl, KM1H, suggested removing all of the mods you did and seeing how
>> it works.  Perhaps something is amiss with them.  If something is not
>> assembled correctly on the input circuitry, you could be creating an
>> instability there as well.  This is probably not a bad idea.  Then
>> reinstall the mods one at a time and try to determine where the problem
>> occured.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Jon
>> KE9NA
>Jon,
>I read that Carl suggested removing mods to go "original",
>but following the input circuit changes per Rich's suggestions
>to reduce VSWR (reducing coil windings and changing in/out caps)
>is pretty hard to undo.

indeed, Jon, and for what?.  .  The idea that input SWR could be
significantly related to intermittent Tune-C arcing is not reasonable.
One of the nagging problems with parasites is that they are seemingly
female, and thusly can change their minds at any time.
 .  As Murphy said:  Some things are more complicated than they look.

-  later, Bennett

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures