[AMPS] Alpha 89 faults

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 05:00:38 -0800

>Help !!!!!!!!!
>
>I played last weekend in the contest and the 89 just chugged along. I
>turned it off Saturday night, when I had to quit for work, and when I
>turned on Sunday morning, it faulted. It just sits there, blinking it's
>little light. The green indicator lights under the tune, Ig and drive
>buttons just blink, depending on which one is pushed.
>
>The only thing I can think I did different was this. I turned the amp off
>before the pre-heat cycle was finished.

... should not have caused a problem.

>It goes through the warm-up cycle, but when I change fron stby to operate,
>fault city.
>
>What have I killed and where do I start looking?

 €  It might be worthwhile to first test the tubes for the presense of
loose gold melt-balls.  This condition causes leakage, intermittent
flashover and low emission.  The needed equipment is a current-limited
high-pot tester that is capable of producing 5kV.  If the tube has no
loose gold and the heater tests good, the next step is an emission/output
test.
.   If you do not have access to a high-pot, we perform the gold-leakage
and seal-integrity test for $5 per tube including return via Priority
Mail®, which is supposedly a second day airmail service.
-  later, Henry

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures