[AMPS] Winding chokes...

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Tue, 27 Oct 98 15:54:09 -0600

>Now, how do you folks who wind your own accomplish getting the windings to
>stay where you want. Do you paint them with coil dope before removing the
>spacing wind? This is my first attempt and I need a little Elmering...

Carl, KM1H, once suggested using a little fingernail polish.  I tried
this on some coils I wound and it works GREAT.

Just put a dab on the wire shortly before where you are going to apply
the spacing.

However, if you are using a spacing wind, I am guessing that you are
creating a multi-section choke with supposedly different values of
inductance per each section.  Well, according to some of the Elmers here
on the list, these sorts of chokes suffer from worse resonances than just
straight wound, single section chokes.  What happens is that the choke
sections tend to couple to each other.

Try the fingernail polish stuff to hold it though, it works good.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden