[AMPS] Neighborhood RFI and Amps

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Thu, 29 Oct 98 11:47:54 -0600

>I am not aware of a "Bullet Proof" answering
>machine,  is there one available?  I have put fettites and
>K-Com filters on the line to the answering machine;  also
>ferrites on the AC power cord for the machine.

Problem is that most of the consumer electronics these days that fall
under part 15 regulations are just cheap garbage.  They "must accept all
interference...."

Lots of phones and answering machines just are not properly shielded.  So
even if you put filters on the phone lines, it doesn't help because the
RF is getting into the machine itself and not through the phone line.

We had an interesting experience in college once.  We were getting into
some cheapo phones the university had put in some offices in a building
across the road from us.  This building was populated in significant part
by the typical liberal/environmentalist/"all technology will hurt you"
kind of people (I am not making that up!).  One guy started complaining
that if we were getting into their phones and disturbing them, what were
we doing to their bodies and their health!

So we got a guy from the nuclear radiation lab to come over with his
field strength meter.  I was in the shack, pointed our TH-6DX right at
the building and unloaded 1400 Watts of CW right on 20 meters at the
building.  The field strength meter didn't move.  The guy complained that
the equipment was obviously defective.  So the gal from our club who went
with held her HT up to the meter and transmitted.  It moved.  But it fell
away sharply as she moved it away.

Never heard from the guy again.

We forced the University's telecom department to put FCC spec'd phones in
the building and we never had a problem.

Perhaps her answering machine is a cheapy.  Maybe if you bought her a
high end one the problem would go away (I'd test it out in my own shack
first).  Then she'd get a nice, new fancy machine, she'd be endeared to
you and you'd never have the problem.

If you really want to screw up the phones, transmit a kilowat on 6
meters.  Or on 915 MHz if they have one of the 915 ISM band phones! :-)

Oh that's right, that's called malicious interference! :-)

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden