[AMPS] Winding chokes...

Mike Sims nasfred@1bigred.com
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:11:22 -0500 (EST)

A source of ceramic forms for winding the chokes is to use the body of an
old high wattage ceramic resistor (~100w).  Remove the resistance wire and
you end up with a ceramic form.  The operative word is "old".

WWII vintage resistors are good as the outer covering just flakes off when
unrolling the resistance wire leaving a relatively smooth ceramic body.  If
you mount the ceramic form on a stand off insullator, the tabs the
resistance wire was connected to can be used to tie off the beginning and
end of the choke winding.  (Small ceramic stand-offs are easier to find than
large ceramic forms.)

I've wondered why the resistance wire couldn't remain and not hook the choke
winding to the tabs, or disconnect the resistance wire from the tabs if the
tabs are to be used to anchor the beginning and ending of the choke winding?
Haven't tried it, but can't think of a reason why the resistance wire
couldn't stay on the form.  Thoughts from the group.

        73,
        Mike, K4GMH