[AMPS] Neighborhood RFI and Amps

Bill Turner, W7TI wrt@eskimo.com
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 01:06:19 GMT

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:10:01 -1000, "Jim Reid" <jreid@aloha.net>
wrote:

>Dealing with telephone RFI:
>
>>>Already have had to buy the lady next door a so called
>>>"Bullet Proof" phone;  she calls/receives calls all day,  it seems!
>>>But am not going to do that for the entire neighborhood,  well
>>>the other six or so homes around here.
We're drifting away from the AMPS charter here, but since a lot of
AMPSers must have telephone RFI from time to time, may I recommend a
so-far bullet proof phone for a lot less than the company in Texas
charges?  Unfortunately it doesn't have a model number on it, but it's
the Radio Shack one which has a transparent case so you can see all
the goodies inside.  It's the "Princess" style case, not the standard
case.  I run it about 50 feet from my HF antennas at 1500 watts with
NO filtering at all and it is perfectly quiet.  Any other phone
plugged in that same jack is completely unusable.  Truly remarkable,
especially considering it was only $24.95.

Caveat:  Radio Shack has a way of changing their products with little
or no notice, so if you buy one, make sure you can return it if it
turns out they took out the good stuff.

73, Bill W7TI