[AMPS] Purpose of CW/SSB switch

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 11 Sep 98 03:35:31 -0800

>What is the true purpose of the CW/SSB switch on many of the older linear
>amps ?

The duty cycle for SSB is about 15%.  The duty cycle for CW is about
double that.  To obtain 1500w keydown output with 60% efficiency, a 2500w
HV supply would be needed.  The avg. ham amplifier has a c.600w HV
supply.  This is ok for 2500w pep input on SSB, however, it isn't as ok
for CW.  Reducing the anode voltage and current for CW is a satisfactory
workaround.  On the receiving end, who could notice c. 1/4 of one S unit?

>Was it simply to ensure that you stayed within the old power INPUT
>regulations when in CW mode, or is there some other good technical reason ?
>
> Obviously the reason I'm asking is that I can't see a good technical
>reason for the switch.  Actually I see good reasons for not having it but
>I need someone to verify my understanding.  (I wasn't planning on having
>one on the 4-1000 amp I'm building).

If you have a large enough power supply, you don't need CW/SSB switch,
Phil.  On the other hand, 7kV is ideal for SSB with an 8166/4-1000a, but
it is a bit much for casual CW use.  .  Why not go with an 8171?  It
drives easier, is easier to cool, takes up the same chassis space as an
8166, requires no filament choke, uses a simpler tuned input, and can
deliver seven more db if need be.  .This can come in pretty handy to
compensate for additional path loss on 80m and 160m.
-  later, Phil

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures