[AMPS] Question on reforming caps NCL2000

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 11 Sep 98 13:23:18 -0800

>On Fri, 11 Sep 98 08:20:52 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:
>>

>>The designers rather obviously did not bother to read the RCA
>>Transmitting Tube Manual.  In stock config., the amp. is potentially
>>an
>>8122-screen-assassinator.
>

>No argument...what was designed was not what Mike Ferber ( National
>Marketing VP) forced on the market.
>

> > If you are interested, I can mail you a copy
>> of a schematic with needed changes.
>
>I tried them...they dont work.

You tried the RCA Transmitting Tube Manual recommended cathode feedback
resistors and they don't work? . .  You tried a shunt screen regulator to
protect the delicate 8w screens and it does not work?.  You tried the
simplified grid bias circuit that eliminates delicate parts and it
doesn't work either?.

>If you have recent upgrades I would also appreciate a copy.
>
>>  With some changes and run in AB1 instead if AB2, the NCL-2000 is clean
enough to
>>avoid being tarred and feathered at the next DX convention.

>It takes nothing except resetting the bias AND watching the grid meter to
>make the NCL an almost clean amp with -28dB 3rd IMD

Agreed, Carl.   Another method of assuring that no grid current flows
would make it easier on the eyes.  .  The RCA xmtting tube manual tells
how to make AB1 operation with the 8122 even mo' betta.

> even with the
>unregulated screen supply. Adapting the G3SEK screen regulator

Is this a shunt regulator?
-  later

Rich...