[AMPS] Reed relays for upgrading SB-220 T/R switch

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 11 Sep 98 19:47:35 -0800

>Can the reed relay types sold by Neb. surplus (or similar) be used to
>upgrade the T/R relay on the SB-220?
>
>http://www.surplussales.com/Relays/REReed-6.html
>
>Bob    N5CNN

I went to the Nebraska Web site.  I saw no info on make speed, break
speed or RF current and RF voltage ratings versus frequency.  .  A
virtually new, unused, Jennings RJ1A  vac. relay from Fair Radio Sales
costs $35.  It will handle c. 3kW @ 50 ohms @ 28MHz.  Two in parallel
will handle 12kW @ 28MHz.  .  With a suitable speedup circuit, the RJ1A
will switch in1.8mS.  // New, Matsushita shielded rhodium-gold contact,
1.0mS, 150w, RF reed relays are available for $10.  See my Web site.
High speed switching parts kits, including the RF reed relay, are $20
each. - the RJ1A vac. relay is not included..  See circuit in Jan. 1994
QST or see Fig. 7B on my Web site.  Very few vacuum relays can switch
fast enough to keep up with modern radios.

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures