[AMPS] Question on reforming caps NCL2000

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 10:24:15 -0400

On Sat, 12 Sep 98 18:44:33 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:

>potentially

>>>You tried the RCA Transmitting Tube Manual recommended cathode
>>>feedback
>>>resistors and they don't work?
>>

>>That is correct....they do not work in the NCL2000's I tried and the
>amp
>>goes wild on 10/15M. The problem can be traced to the marginal screen
>>bypassing that is used, only 500pf per pin coupled with the 2W
>cathode
>>resistor lead lengths.
>
>Are you saying that was with resistors supplied by us?

Who is "us" ?  I used 2W Allen Bradley carbon composition. This was 10-12
years ago remember.

>>Those tests were done about 10 years ago.
>>The amp can be made completely stable by using Johnson, Eimac, etc.,
>>4CX250 screen bypass rings but those items are becoming very hard to
>>find. If you note...RCA specifies those rings in their literature and
>the
>>early NCL prototypes used them. Marketing nixed the idea as too
>>expensive.
>
>A mistake.  So is using a too-inductive resistor.

Allen Bradley MIL-Spec are not inductive at HF.

  So is using too
>much
>lead length.

You have to use some lead length, I had them as short as possible.
I suspect that even with proper screen bypassing using the resistor in
the cathode method would lead to instability at VHF. I prefer the low
inductance copper strap to ground myself.

>.So is not using at least one resistor per filament pin.

Why filament pins? The 8122 is indirectly heated and has 3 cathode pins

73  Carl  KM1H

>Rich...
>
>R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures
>

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]