[AMPS] TL-922

Gus Samuelson gussam@newcomm.net
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:50:03 -0230

I have just pulled the covers off my Sick TL-922 and have found
 the following problems.

1: one of the 3-500's had lost it's vacuum seal due to a fracture of the
   glass, everything inside the tube was covered with a white film,
which I under
   stand is normal when this occurs.

2: The only other component that is visibily damaged is a 220pf silver
mica cap
   at the base of this tube.

No problem, of course to replace the tube or the Capacitor, however am
wondering
which event is likely to have occured first. Did the CAP go out and
cause the
 the fracture of the tube glass  or did the tube blow and cause the
cap to explode   ......   or.....
and more importantly,  is there something else that I have not yet
discovered that
might have caused this catastrophic failure ?

I have had this unit for about 14 years now  . am the  original owner
and
have had a few other failures over the years of a different sort..
LOst tube  ..... fried filament xformer.

I am a bit apprehensive about just replacing the CAP and tube before
being
certain that it won't do a repeat  when I fire it up.

 There were no loud bangs before this thing went south  I switched it
off
and found that it  did not fire up when  I next tried to use it.
The only unusual occurance prior to the failure was an intermittant GRID
 current reading of about 50-75 mils while  the unit was  only idling.

Any thing else I should look for while I have this unit's  covers off ?
Any body else encounter a similar problem ?
Any recommendations from the Group ?

BTW this was an old tube that I scrounged up to get the unit
 back onthe air and had been in service for about 2 years.

Any help / recommendations would be appreciated.

73 Gus VO1MP