[AMPS] AL1200

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:15:40 -0400

Mark and Peter...tnx for the info but meeting FCC specs was never one of
the reasons given to me.
Interpeting FCC specs has been a sore point with several manufacturers
since a lot of interpetation latitude is given to local jurisdiction
offices. Ameritron can disable 10M with a 30 second to cut green
wire....others have to jump thru hoops to get approval.

Maybe Im missing something but I fail to see any difference in the
ability to attenuate harmonics on 160/80 than 40/20 or other bands. Alpha
and B&W at least used the Pi-L on all bands and pushed the harmonic
attenuation feature....on the higher bands which tend to annoy TV sets.

I was told at one point it was to save on variable capacitor cost; later
it was called efficiency. ( Different Ameritron engineers over a period
of time from Toledo to the MFJ Mississsippi swamp pits)  With the cost of
an extra switch wafer in todays market I wonder....?   Perhaps it is all
the above....the Q is so poor on the lower bands they had to add a L
section to compensate for harmonics.....???  Comments??

73   Carl   KM1H