[AMPS] Direct reading screen meters & High Voltage

Vic Rosenthal rakefet@rakefet.com
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 08:26:03 -0700

igor rosky wrote:

> I have access to many amp ma meters which would be suitable for
> monitoring screen supplies. Would these meters be okay for direct
> insertion for current monitoring, my main concern is voltage
> breakdown, at screen volts 1500. This question would also apply to
> plate supply monnitoring in B- or cathode return

If you are intending to put the meter in a HV circuit, you MUST mount it on an
insulating panel behind the main panel of the amp and make sure that it is
impossible to contact the adjusting screw on the front of the meter.  In b- or
cathode ciruits, you must either insulate the meter as above or else make sure
that no component failure can occur that would end up placing the meter at a
high potential to ground.  Meter insulation is generally very poor.

Vic, K2VCO