[AMPS] High Volt Fluke type probes

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:05:41 +0100

Rich Measures wrote:
>>I would like to build a high voltage probe for my multimeter, any
>>suggestions or construction tips would be appreciated, as i do not
>>want to pay a few hundred bucks just for one or two measurements.
>>
>I found a 400M ohm high voltage MOF resistor at a swap meet.  I mounted
>it in a long plastic box.  I used banana jacks for the in and out
>connections.  I connected a precision R and a 20 turn trimpot across the
>output of the divider.  Feeding 1000V in, I adjusted the output for
>1.000V, which calibrated the multiplier box for x1000 .  I can measure up
>to 30kVDC accurately with my Fluke DMM.

I did almost exacty the same as Rich, except for using a long string of
small oxide film resistors (20 x 1.5M, 500V rating).

The resistors are mounted inside a plastic tube (ball-pen case) with a
test prod on the end, and the other end of the pen case is glued into a
small plastic box that contains the trimpot. Use a 1W MOF safety
resistor in parallel with the trimpot.

Finally, connect a long flying lead with an alligator clip to the bottom
end of the voltage divider, and a two-wire lead terminating in plugs for
your DMM. Calibrate for 1/1000 division as Rich described, at the
highest voltage that your DMM will safely measure without the probe.

Whichever way you build it, make sure that the high-voltage end of the
probe is a LONG way away from the place where you hold it in your hand!

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek